Thursday, September 29, 2016

Punctuation in Texts?

I believe that punctuation should be used in text messaging. I do agree that texting is its own form of language and thus is not killing language as we know it, as stated in the the TED talk video, but I think punctuation can be important. We are constantly texting and so it's a good habit to get into using grammar and punctuation. It's a great opportunity to practice.

When I am texting someone, I do admit to judging them by how they text. If it's full of misspelled words and poor punctuation, then I will probably be less inclined to talk to them in the future. Once while texting I ended my sentence with a period. The person I was texting asked if I was mad at him because the period "seemed harsh". When did punctuation take on that type of meaning? And how common place is this becoming?

No comments:

Post a Comment